Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

2003 Kia Sedona van dying

2»

Comments

• edited October 2011
    At this point, I would probably replace the main battery cables, both positive & negative (at almost 10 years old you can't really lose on that) and then find every grounding point under the hood, pull them all, clean them up and reattach. Then I'd see where things stand. I say that just on the idea that if I had codes that seemed to indicate voltage problems and were moving targets then I'd first suspect a bad ground.

I'd still check the fuel pressure too though.
  • Did This Car Spend A Lot Of Time In A Hot Climate ?
    This could be an important clue.
    CSA
  • we live in Iowa so extreme hots and extreme colds
  • That TPS Technical Service Bulletin I Referenced Earlier Described A Problem Found In Vehicles In Hot Climates, Especially. Now You Have A TPS DTC (Code).

Since you're trying to DIY and keep costs at a minimum, I'd bop over to a local Kia dealer and befriend the Service Manager/Service Director (or if need be, the Parts Department guys) and have them pull that bulletin for you. Discuss this issue with them and see what they think. They might have some experience with this that they will remember.

CSA
  • If the vehicle were mine I'd put a vacuum gauge on it and make sure there's not a clogged converter problem before spending one dime on anything.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm with ok4450 on completely ruling out a plugged catalytic converter before doing much else. Usually, pulling an upstream oxygen sensor will allow enough exhaust pressure to escape to make a significant difference, but may not have in this instance. A vacuum test is definitive in diagnosing this, but another tool-free test, although not entirely definitive, is to rev the engine while in park. If the engine falls flat on its face at a rather low engine speed (probably under 2k RPM from the sound of things) and sounds somewhat like a vacuum cleaner, there's a very good chance the catalytic converter is clogged.
This discussion has been closed.