Squealing Fan Belt in a Hyundai Accent 1.6 litre

I thought it was the power steering pump & replaced it and still get the noise. A friend did squirt belt dressing on the belt while running and the sound disappeared for a short period of time, so now my guess is its the belt which is not loose, I went and loosened the four bolts on the power steering pump trying to move it thinking there was a crooked connection between the two pulleys maybe, but no. I start up my car and get a squeal that wiould wake the dead for a minute or two, then all is fine driving. If I drive to the store shut it off for 10 minutes usually starts w/ no noise, looks like I made a charitable donation on the new pump,…also the the power steering fluid is correct

Thanks

Kevin

The belt is worn out. Replace it along with a new tensioner, if this car is equipped.

Would this be the case even if it were a fairly new belt ? Thanks for your help

It sounds like the belt tension is not correct. Squealing on start-up is common on the belt that runs the alternator when the tension is weak. The alternator is working hard to replace the power used by the battery to start the car. The extra load is too much for the belt with weak tension. Once a belt has been glazed, the friction between the belt and the pulleys is compromised, and tightening it may not help.

BTW, what do you mean by ‘fairly new’?

Hyundai Accent 1.6 litre

Please indicate the model-year.

CSA

It’s a 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6
Thanks

All new belts were put on about nine months ago, they all seem to be in great condition, but , like mentioned earlier maybe the problem is not visible

I thought the fan was electric, not belt driven.

I had a new timing belt put on by a mechanic about nine months ago, he put the wrong size belt on. He had Gates 9265 and the car called for Gates 9260