Stripped the hole of my transmission drain

2000 honda accord automatic, 4 cylinder. As I unscrew the drain plug of the transmission, i stripped about 2/3 of the hole threads. the bolt threads are OK. what are my choices to fix it? i do not believe there is room to “tap and die” (?). I visited locan NAPA and they suggested me using 2 liquid epoxy. what i am thinking to do first is to use the liquid gasket surrounding my bolt, bolt them in using the remaining 1/3 of the hole thread. Let is sit and cured. do you think it will work? Thank you very much.

Well as a short fix sealer or epoxy. You will have to really clean the fluid off. Then go to a salvage yard and get a new used pan. You really need a new pan.

Hmmm…I believe your tranny is aluminum…right?..right…Not Good. Half of me wants to try to help you fix it and the other half is wondering how you did it.

Aluminum isnt ez to repair in this regard. Im thinking that you might look twd the oversize oil drain plugs that they sell…they are designed to cut their way in and oversize the hole for you and are designed for a tighter tolerance. Thats my only guess aside of hitting up a good welder friend of mine. JB Weld may help you as well but…this isnt a good thing…this…that you did.

You can remove the pan and tap a larger hole. You just need to find a larger sized plug and tap the hole to that size. Or else find a junkyard replacement as already suggested.
I doubt you can epoxy glue your way out of your problem. Epoxy isn’t oil-based. I don’t think it will stick to oily metal.

This vehicle doesn’t have a transmission pan. The transmission drain plug screws directly into the aluminum transmission housing, making this repair a lot more difficult.

So in that case you cannot replace the pan, crazy glue the plug to prevent a leak, or tap the pan for a new plug.
You can replace the transmission. Or you can just buy a new truck. And maybe then you can stop trying to replace fluids on your vehicles if you don’t even know how to screw in a bolt or whatever without stripping the threads.

Stripping out the aluminum is the easies thing to do because it just happens because cast aluminum is the crappiest stuff for drain plugs to go into. You can put RTV sealant on the plug and install it. The plug doesn’t have to be really tight either.

If you rethread the hole for a standard type of bolt, use oil.

kizwiki and others, thank u for discussions and advice. This is the first time i drained the fluid. thus, i did not mis-screwed it before. do not remember when transmission fluid was last changed. so, to my defense, i just unscrewed the bolt. could it be it was too old and too tight, the aluminium threads just gave in.

i am sorry about the stupid and irritating question. I have changed tranmission fluids on my 2001 volvo and 2005 nissan frontier without stripping the plug nor the hole.

again, thanks all for discussion and advice.

Just tap it out to the next oversize. There should be enough meat there to do this.
If you’re concerned about aluminum chips in the transmission what you should do is coat the thread tap with heavy grease first. Run the tap in a little while working it back and forth. Remove and wipe the chips off and then repeat with the grease; possiby even doing this 3 or 4 times.
Once done use a rag on the tip of a screwdriver and wipe the hole off. It will be fine.

I’m not a fan of gluing things like this because you never really know if it’s going to be permanent or not.
A few years ago a neighbor of mine had a Ford Probe with a leaking drain plug. (manual)
His RTV sealer job lasted about 2 weeks before the drain plug fell out 8 miles out of town and trashed the transmission. He had to pay me to change the transmission out as a fair number of internal parts were junk due to no oil.