2006 Kia Sedona periodically won't start

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona with about 85k on it. About 2 months ago it began not starting (no engine turn over whatsoever). I took it to the dealer and they could not get the problem to repeat. When I pressed the service manager he told me to “bang on the fuse box” while trying to start it. Oddly, that seems to work. Something about the power relay (I might have the terminology wrong here). Last week my (1 year old) battery died. Another Kia dealership also found nothing wrong with the van but also mentioned the power relay as a possible cause of the period non-starting but didn’t think that could damage the battery. Car is yet again, not starting sometimes. Banging on the fuse box as per the first service manager still works but this is not a permanent solution. Don’t want to spring for a new power relay (??) since they can’t definitively diagnose that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I Don’t Know A Kia Sedona From A Tohatsu Run-Pet Sport, . . . But What We Have Here Is Known As “Intermittent No Crank Condition.” That I Know.

Is it me or just a coincidence that Sedonas have electrical problems and “Sedonas” is “Anodes” Spelled Backwards ? Anodes are battery terminals. I think it’s code of some type or a clue. However, I digress.

Pastry Demon, has the dealer technician consulted Kia Technical Service Bulletins ? These are instructions that are prepared by Kia to help technicians with certain recurrent issues pertaining to specific models and model-years of vehicles.

A bulletin for 2006 and early 2007 Sedonas with Intermittent No Crank exists. It is complex with a dozen pages, with pictures and arrows and lots of detailed text. It does pertain to the Start Relay, but the problem seems to be with the Burglar Alarm Relay (this is not a serviceable item) and is part of the IPM (In Panel Module). That Start Relay plugs into the IPM of which the burglar alarm circuitry is an integral part.

However, there is a procedure outlined in this bulletin to properly diagnose the problem. This is a fairly complicated procedure and the bulletin admonishes that it must be read in its entirety before beginning. Things can be messed up if the bulletin is not adhered to in all its details.

I believe I’ve got the gist of this. If the testing reveals that the problem is in the burglar alarm then the entire IPM needs to be replaced.

"Don’t want to spring for a new power relay (??) since they can’t definitively diagnose that. "

I was wrong once, (One time I thought I was wrong and later found out I wasn’t) but, I believe that using this TSB, a good technician, could obtain a proper diagnosis.

Be sure and get some firm estimates before proceeding with these operations. The diagnosis is not supposed to be very expensive, but I would guess that the IPM and its installation could be a little (very ?) pricey.

Since this is a known issue with 2006 Kia Sedonas, I wonder if a polite customer could receive any “goodwill” help from Kia towards getting the vehicle fixed after it is out of warranty coverage. Do you know if Kia Corporate is user friendly ? You might want to see if you can talk to or meet with a Service & Parts Zone Representative if (when ?) this is going to get expensive. If it’s your “selling dealer,” maybe they would help yoy, too, to keep you as a loyal repeat customer.

See if your friendly dealer will let you have a look at the TSB. Many fiendly dealers would make a copy for you, but keep in mind that this bulletin is for Kia Technicians and not intended to help customers directly.

CSA

Thank you very much for your response. Some of what you mentioned sounds familiar. Both service managers have been vague but I think I can press one of them to fully read the TSB. I really appreciate you talking the time to respond - you’ve given me some great direction to try.

You’re Welcome. Hope It Helps. Let Us Know What Happens.

CSA