Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Wildlife -- and your car

edited 6:44AM in The Show
Got a question about your car and... dogs? Or cats? Or goats, snakes, birds, crabs, raccoons, geckos, bed bugs, mud chiggers, or Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches?

Well, good news! We're pleased to welcome Car Talk's new resident wildlife expert, Dr. Kieran Lindsey. We recently had a discussion with her, and posted some of the most common automotive-animal conundrums right here.

But... what other questions do you have? Got a burning issue about cockroaches coming from a clutch? Or something more mundane? Let us know -- Kieran and the gang at Car Talk Plaza will be watching, and doing our best to give you answers. And, unlike the answers from our humble hosts, we promise you they'll be something a bit more than a wild guess about wildlife.

Yours in bed bugs and Buicks,

The Lackeys of Car Talk Plaza

Comments

• edited January 2011
    a FYI: I have heard some manufacturers switched to a corn based primary wire insulation. And critters found this as a free candy gift, chewing through the insulation. Any truth to this? Who-When? Did they go to a different formula?
  • edited January 2011
    Since Deer Prosper Where Farms Provide Corn And Other Crops And Since More & More Farmers Are Being Subsidized For Growing Corn To Use For The Big Government Ethanol Push . . .

. . . Could the over-abundance of deer be turned into some type of fuel to reduce the cost of energy in the country ? This would also help keep them from leaping through my windshield. It kills two birds (deer) with one stone. Grow the corn, get the deer for free.

CSA
  • edited January 2011
    I don't know, but now I'm curious. I'll have to do a little research but I'll get an answer for you as soon as possible!

Dr. Kieran
  • edited January 2011
    D-85

85% Deer/gas mix.
  • edited January 2011
    Something must have happened because we have had Toyotas forever and haven't had rodent damage until the newer ones: Prius and Solara. They eat or at least chew up the insulation on the underside of the hood. They nest in various parts of the AC system and of course die in there occasionally. A perfectly yummy Toyota truck sits next to the cars and is never bothered.

Our solution: We raise the hoods and clip on a bright light to shine all night on the engines. It is the only thing that seems to work.

Do you have any other suggestions? This has been really costly!

Thanks. Ann
  • edited January 2011
    Do those little things work that you stick on the bumpers that supposedly make high pitched sounds?
  • edited January 2011
    I hit a very large wolf in Idaho in July 2010 on Interstate 90 at a speed of 75 miles per hour coming back from Spokane. The impact ripped the front left portion of my bumper. Thankfully the air bag did not deploy. Just curious though... why didn't the air bag go off with that hard of a hit?

PS... I have a duct tape bumper... or is it duck tape bumper?
  • edited January 2011
    Unfortunately, Wolves Don't Have Air Bags, Yet.

CSA
  • edited January 2011
    A Neighbor, Just Up The Road, Reported To His Insurance Company That His Windshield Was Broken By A Large Fish ! They Were Skeptical At First, Until They Learned That The Fish Was Dropped By A Bald Eagle Trying To Gain Altitude.

CSA
  • edited January 2011
    And I'll bet that bald eagle talked incessantly to other bald eagles about the one that got away.
This discussion has been closed.