Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

fuel pumps/ empty gas tanks

edited November -1 in The Show
Dear Ray and Tom,

I read your article regarding the empty fuel tank and it's related damage to the car.

I know a few very good mechanics who all agree that running tank low on fuel is the number one reason the fuel pump fails. It overheats due to lack of coolant.

They all state they have never replaced a fuel pump when the customer, like me, keeps at least 1/4 tank of fuel at all times.

I agree with you guys and love your article and show. I think you're wrong telling folks it's OK to run your tank low.

Respectfully, Phil

Comments

• edited December 2010
    If running your tank low (or even empty) killed your fuel pump I would be replacing them by the bushel basket. I have never seen any technical material from eiher the manufacture of the car or the manufacture of the pump confirming what you say about fuel pumps.

Think of what you are saying, you are saying the last 1/4 of the tank is unusable or usable only at the risk of pump damage. Look around for something from a pump manufacture or a auto manufacture that puts out something about this subject (even if it is biased) Lets look the info over.
  • edited December 2010
    Low and empty are 2 different things
  • edited December 2010
    Low and empty are 2 different thingsSure, but since the post suggests that running the tank LOW causes damage, what are you trying to get at?
  • edited December 2010
    just read the piece about runing the tank low and damage, I have seen it more than once. Todays fuel is incredibly DIRTY, DO NOT run the tanks low even with the newer plastic tanks fuel is dirty from delivery line to bulk storage. I am a retired fuel transport driver and I have seen it first hand, the trucks are clean,its the manufacture and related distibution lines are very old and are sluffing off, your fuel comes to you full of rust,this is fouling filters and ruining pumps, change filters often
  • edited December 2010
    The last sentence states as follows: I think you're wrong telling folks it's OK to run your tank low.
  • edited December 2010
    Im getting at low and empty are 2 different things. Low wont hurt your fuel pump..empty will
  • edited December 2010
    Apparently, "yesterday's" fuel wasn't exactly clean either!

On my '74 Volvo (purchased new and maintained better than the mfr specified), the Bosch fuel pumps could be depended on to burn out approximately every 12-13 months, and these pumps were not located inside the gas tank. My only explanation (other than the fact that the car was unmitigated crap) is that the gasoline circa '74-'81 was incredibly dirty or the Bosch fuel pumps were as crappy as the rest of that Volvo.
  • edited December 2010
    Can't anyone come up with any type of published article about this (anything but a story from Yahoo that is, I think we have all agreeded not to accept automotive information from Yahoo).I am open to looking this over. I must have changed 200 fuel filters over the last 35 years and I can think of probably 2 that I actually saw paticulate matter run out of when emptied. Sure I can testify to seeing a small amount of rust colored material at the bottom of gas tanks (noticed when changing fuel filters). I think the majority of fuel pumps I have changed over the years went bad due to design errors (ruptured diphrams on mechanical pumps don't count). Fuel pump failure did happen on CIS cars like VDC describes but never on one of my CIS cars.
  • edited December 2010
    Im getting at low and empty are 2 different things. Low wont hurt your fuel pump..empty willI guess I thought you were responding to the first response on here. (I don't like the way this forum shows responses, which is why I try to quote at least a little from whatever I'm responding to.) I don't doubt that running a tank completely empty (repeatedly) could cause a problem, but just running the tank low is going to cause fuel pump problems? I'm not buying it. And needing to keep at least a quarter tank in it? I don't think so. As far as dirty fuel being a concern - I would expect to see problems in other areas before a failing fuel pump due to dirty fuel.
  • edited December 2010
    [b]It overheats due to lack of coolant.[/b]
    Looking for a fuel pump with coolant, unless you mean the flow of fuel acts as a coolant.
This discussion has been closed.