Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Plastic cover under engine and front end

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. The plastic cover under the front end and engine is falling off. One large piece is off, another is dragging. Is this something I need to replace? Is it just for aerodynamics (i.e. for better milage), or is it essential?


  • edited December 2010
    I would say it is essential for aerodynamics. These engineers worked to the last detail to allow this car to get the mileage that it does. It is not "mission critical" if you are prepered to lose a bit of mpg. Just how much I have no idea.
  • edited December 2010
    Is he talking about the splash guard?
  • edited December 2010
    It is the plastic undercovering; below the engine. It seems to be there for airflow, but it would also help prevent water from splashing up from under the car. I do not know if that is a splash guard. My car knowledge could fit into a thimble. Other older cars I have had did not have such a covering below the engine.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, Peacefrog, I believe he is.

    I'd replace it. It protects your engine from water splashing up into the engine compartment when you hit a puddle, and in some vehicles loss of theta plastic guard has been known to reduce the ability of the cooling system. Think of it as a version of a cooling fan shroud.
  • edited December 2010
    It will help protect the engine (mostly from dirt) and likely improve your mileage, (a little) and reduce noise.

    I would (and have) replaced it on my car.
  • edited December 2010
    The part itself rarely fails, it the clips that hold it. I bought a small assortment of these clips from an auto parts store for $2.19 and was able to put everything back together on my Camry. Granted mine came off because I ripped them out to have access to the transmission pan.
  • edited February 2011
    I have the same problem, but can't find the name of the part in order to search for a replacement. I called several auto parts stores, but they did not know what I was talking about...maybe I need to just visit one. If anyone know what this part is technically called, I would really like to know before I go out searching.
    I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla CE
  • edited February 2011
    You probably don't need to replace it. But don't drive around without it. Just figure out how to get it reattached. Rigging will be necessary. If you drive around without it you will create many more problems for yourself. In a couple of weeks, for instance you'll probably be here asking how a squirrel got all wrapped up in the pulleys for your serpentine belt and why you have an intermittent code for a crankshaft position sensor. Soon after that it'll be whether you can replace a piece of AC line by yourself because yours got completely smashed by something...
  • edited February 2011
    Depending on the maker it can be called a lower deflector, lower schroud, undercover, etc. Not super important but it could help in wind noise, aerodynamics and in a stretch it could keep rocks from hitting the oil filter (depending on the filter location). If it is not broken then some cheap push in retainers will secure it.
  • edited February 2011
    I would recomend inspecting the underside of your car and temporarily removing anything that is dragging/"falling off". Those covers are held on with little plastic retainers, you put a flat head screwdriver in the slot on the side and gently pull down on it. The retainer is two pieces. If the covers aren't damaged I would get some replacement retainers for any that are missing or broken (your local Honda dealer will have these, they're about $5 each. There are also some places on-line that sell generic ones cheaper) and then reattach the plastic covers. If the covers are broken I would purchase new ones (again from your Honda dealer). Your mileage will suffer some without these covers, even more so with them dragging/flapping around.
This discussion has been closed.