2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ Smell of Fuel/Gas

Hey Guys! I work on Japanese cars only and my current girl friend has a Chevy Cobalt. In the last month she’s been smelling strong raw unleaded fuel smell through the vents and coming from the front of the car.

The car has no problems what-so-ever otherwise. It has been in an accident in the passenger door, but that was 2 years ago.

Researching online, this is a common problem with with a symptom she doesn’t have: car doesn’t start on the first crank. Her car has no trouble starting right up. I’m assuming that this may be a symptom that might be soon to come.

What can it be and where should I start troubleshooting. I’ve had no Hondas or Toyotas that smell like gas this bad.

There’s no apparent leak. I have some ideas, but I’d like to know…

What could it be?

There isn’t much that’s really all that different about Honda/Toyota/Chevy when it comes to the basics. There is a fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, o-rings to seal the connections, fuel injectors, etc. If it smells like raw gas there is a leak. Find it. I doubt that there is any Chevy-specific thing going on.