Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ Smell of Fuel/Gas

Hey Guys! I work on Japanese cars only and my current girl friend has a Chevy Cobalt. In the last month she's been smelling strong raw unleaded fuel smell through the vents and coming from the front of the car.
<br/>
<br/> The car has no problems what-so-ever otherwise. It has been in an accident in the passenger door, but that was 2 years ago.
<br/>
<br/> Researching online, this is a common problem with with a symptom she doesn't have: car doesn't start on the first crank. Her car has no trouble starting right up. I'm assuming that this may be a symptom that might be soon to come.
<br/>
<br/> What can it be and where should I start troubleshooting. I've had no Hondas or Toyotas that smell like gas this bad.
<br/>
<br/> There's no apparent leak. I have some ideas, but I'd like to know...
<br/>
<br/> What could it be?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    There isn't much that's really all that different about Honda/Toyota/Chevy when it comes to the basics. There is a fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, o-rings to seal the connections, fuel injectors, etc. If it smells like raw gas there is a leak. Find it. I doubt that there is any Chevy-specific thing going on.
This discussion has been closed.