Timing belt replacement

I have a 2005 Buick Lacrosse with the six cylinder engine that has 140,000 miles. I want to keep this car for another 60,000 and wonder if I should replace the timing belt as a precaution or keep driving until it fails.

Well, lets say that your car had a timing belt - then you would be way way past due to change it. But there’s not much point in saying it since your car doesn’t have a timing belt.

Are you actually asking whether or not you should change the timing chain? This is usually not necessary at all. It will more than likely start making noise if there is a problem but will probably outlast most of the rest of the car.

But more importantly, you should ask such questions of the owner’s manual.

I agree with cigroller. Your car does not have a timing belt, so no worries there. If you want your car to last as long as possible, look in your owner’s manual and follow the maintenance schedule. It will tell you what you need to do and when to do it to make your car last. Do that, make needed repairs, keep the car clean, and it will easily go another 60k miles, or 160k miles, or however long you want to keep it.

Timing chains are awesome. They usually dont break but when they get worn out they will skip teeth. Then the car starts to misfire and then its time for a new chain. Once in a while they do break but its rare.

Your car uses push rods to control the valve position. The cam is on the bottom of the engine, and pushes the rods. These rods are long enough to push on an assembly at the top of the engine where the valves are, thus opening and closing them. If the timing chain fails, your valves won’t work anymore, and the car will stop. But there will not be internal damage. Many cars with timing belts also have overhead cams, which control the valves. If there is a belt failure, valves can dangle in the cylinder and will be hit by the piston. That will cause a lot of damage - you’ll need a new engine. So, you are protected 2 ways: a timing chain instead of a less robust timing belt, and much less damage if a timing chain failure occurs.

One more thing: My 1998 Buick Regal uses the same engine and I’m on my 1st timing chain.

Thanks for the responses excluding the sarcasm. The owner’s manual does not mention anything in the maintenance schedule but routine items (oil,lube, brakes, antifreeze)

I also drive 2005 LaCrosse . I have 120,000. The first thing I did was 1) Break exchange fluids 2) Power steering fluid 3) Transmission oil if you did not change 4) Chasis bottom cleaned. If you did this and regular oil change you should be fine.

It’s quite likely the OP no longer owns the car 9 years later.

3 Likes

Why would you ’ Break the exchange fluids ’ and how do you do that ?

3 Likes

Change the fluid used for your breaks. Go to the dealer and they will do it. Changing fluids for the break helps you to keep the breaks last longer.

I’m going to stick with coffee for my breaks.

What did you break?
I hope that it wasn’t your brakes!
:thinking:

Pour some oil in a line on a cookie sheet, then pour enough liquid nitrogen onto the oil to freeze it. Now it’s easy to break it! :smile:

2 Likes