Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Timing belt & water pump

Good morning,

We have a 2006 Toyota Sienna LE,with 108,000 miles. We service it without fail every 5,000 miles. The mx book, and our service center, RECOMMENDS a new timing belt, and water pump at this time. Our friend, who is a mechanic says not to do anything until we see water leaking. The cost to change now is 500 plus, and I guess a whole lot more if we wait "till it's broke". What is your suggestion?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Change both. Timing belts are wear items and need to be changed on schedule to avoid larger repairs down the line. It appears your vehicle has an interference engine, making a timing belt failure very expensive. Changing the water pump is preventive and costs very little to do when the timing belt is done. Risk is that the old water pump could go later, causing a similar labor bill as for the timing belt change.
  • edited October 2010
    I would recommend following the manufacturer's service book. If it is leaking water that is the water pump failing, unfortunately if the timing belt fails there is no real warning, just a very expensive repair.
  • edited October 2010
    The timing belt service interval for an 06 Sienna (my wife's) is 7yr/90k miles, whichever comes first. Your van is 18k overdue. The 3.3 6 cyl is an interference engine, a timing belt failure would be catastrophic and the cost would be thousands not hundreds. Is your friend willing to pay for a new engine if the belt breaks?

I would have the belt, tensioner, waterpump, and any other related parts replaced ASAP.

Ed B.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think this 3.3 liter V6 is an interference engine. What does your owners manual say about when to change the timing belt? You should think about doing this work in the not too distant future, but don't worry too much about it.

• edited October 2010
    I can't make a specific recommendation because not all Toyota's have the same recommended maintenance interval. I can recommend: Do nothing less than what is recommended in the owner's manual. Don't assume that what is good for one Toyota is good for others. Failure to follow the recommended (by Toyota Corp, not the dealer) can be rather expensive. It is cheaper in the long run to do it as recommended.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanx, Ed for your reply. Are u a mechanic? I thot I would hear from one of the car talk "guys".
  • edited October 2010
    How much do u think replacing timing belt/water pump will cost? We have been quoted 500+
  • edited October 2010
    It's not an interference engine, but it does appear to have a timing belt as opposed to a chain. I'd replace the belt now, rather than have it break at an inopportune moment. marta, the water pump is usually replaced at the same time because you have to remove it to get at the timing belt. The pump is not all that expensive.
  • edited October 2010

According to Gates.com this is NOT an interference engine. So all that will happen when the belt breaks is it'll leave you stranded...which could cost you a few bucks to be towed...and hopefully it doesn't happen on the highway during rush-hour.

When replacing a timing belt it's a good idea to also replace the water-pump since if the pump fails you'll have to pay to have the belt replaced again. The biggest cost in replacing the timing belt is the labor.
  • edited October 2010
    The advice your friend the mechanic gave is dead wrong for sure.
This discussion has been closed.