Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

CRV Spark Plugs

I just did a 90k mile maintenance on my 2004 CRV and the garage charged me $205 to replace the spark plugs because Honda uses "special spark plugs". I think they charged 80 bucks for the plugs, so that would mean $135 plus tax for labor. My question, was I taken for a ride either for the plugs or the labor? My wife picked up the vehicle so these questions weren't asked.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2010
    That's about what they charge me for my V6 Camry (91). It needs plugs only at 60,000 mile intervals but the platinum plugs are expensive and they back 3 cylinders are very hard to reach. I guess that justifies the cost but I cannot do it myself so I'm stuck. At least it's only every 60,000.
  • edited September 2010
    I paid $200 to have the plugs changed on my 2000 Blazer 4wd. The plugs were $12 apiece and the rest was labor. Normally I change my own spark plugs, but the engine compartment is so tight I let the mechanic do it. Depending on how hard it is to get to the plugs, $205 doesn't seem too far out of line.

Ed B.
  • edited September 2010
    It sounds about right. Odds are the plugs used were Iridium and these are pricy, but unnecessary, in my opinion.
  • edited September 2010
    Honda does specify Iridium plugs as OEM for this vehicle, evidently they used them.
  • edited September 2010
    They may be specified but that doesn't mean they're necessary. An Iridium or Platinum plug will not perform one bit better than a regular copper core plug.

The only thing the Iridiums and Platinums have going for them over the copper core is that, on average, they may last a bit longer. As far as performance and fuel mileage it's a wash.

Car makers started going to Platinum/Iridium because the Feds required them to cover spark plugs for the first 24k miles as part of the emissions warranty. Since the odds of a copper core misfire are greater than a Plat/Iridium plug misfire in the first 24k miles/2 year warranty they're not taking any chances on having to replace millions of plugs under warranty.
    Pricy out in the real world but on the assembly line those plugs are cheap.
  • edited September 2010
    Given the amount of labor involved, it amkes perfect sense to use the longer lasting plugs. 30k vs 90k, long run you'll save money.
  • edited September 2010
    MAYBE....Replacing plugs that have been in a car for 90k miles can cause it's own VERY EXPENSIVE problems. Not to mention...that plugs can tell you a lot of how the engine is running...
  • edited September 2010
    Car makers started going to Platinum/Iridium because the Feds required them to cover spark plugs for the first 24k miles as part of the emissions warranty
    Why aren't all vehicles installed with Platinum or Iridium plugs then??? Just inquiring.
  • edited September 2010
    This is why I believe all cars should have flat head engines and use Champion J-8 spark plugs. I could change the spark plugs on my 1947 Pontiac 6 in less than 10 minutes. I could purchase 6 new spark plugs with a $5 bill and have enough change left over for a 6 pack.

I think that the price you paid is not out of line today, and I will reluctantly admit that today's cars are more reliable. However, they didn't have the character that cars had fifty and sixty years ago.
  • edited September 2010
    This is why I believe all cars should have flat head engines and use Champion J-8 spark plugs. I could change the spark plugs on my 1947 Pontiac 6 in less than 10 minutes
    And you must have gotten pretty good at replacing the head gasket too??? About 2 sets of plugs for every head gasket is about the norm for a flat-head.
This discussion has been closed.