Cirrus transmission of death

1995 cirrus with the transmission death condition. Trans in overdrive drops to limp home 2nd gear. Ran all winter no problems. I have 80k original miles. Now my drive to work in the morning is perfect. My drive home can be 5 stops to reset the trans to work in normal drive. Coming home I have a few miles of uphill. I have read a bunch of blogs that had no good answers. Any volunteers for more ideas?

Need to get it scanned for codes… Since its a 95, A high end scanner is needed to tap the TCM. They will be 2 digit codes. Post back with the code/s and we can go from there. Remember, its best to scan the TCM when the trans is in limp mode so dont cycle the ignition switch off then back on once the trans is in limp mode until after you have read the code/s.

transman

Correct me if I’m wrong, transman, but can’t many problems with the A604 be corrected by replacing the solenoid pack? I seem to recall reading that somewhere and was wondering about that. I have no experience with those transmissions except for changing out a couple of them.

I am sort of assuming that is what is in the OP’s Cirrus. Does your Cirrus have a four speed (overdrive) transmission?

Actually no. A lot of times, mechanics will change out the solenoid pack thinking thats the problem. Thats an expensive part to be just throwing at a trans. Most problems in the 604 are due to loose connector pins in the harness connectors at the transmission. Other problems also include broken snap rings and speed sensors. The OP’s Cirrus is definitely going to be a 4 speed. The 3 speeds are not computer controlled which means limp mode does not exist in the 3 speed trans.

transman

That’s good to know. Also to clarify my previous post, when I said I have changed out a couple of them, I meant “them” as in the entire transmission. I saw one in a Caravan that appeared to be leaking fluid at the solenoid pack, but wasn’t for sure that was what was happening, so I sent that person to the transmission shop up the road (privately owned shop called Midstate Transmission. Highly reputable, excellent workmanship, reasonably priced).

Disclaimer: I Don’t Know What I’m Talking About, But Does A “604 Transmisssion” Describe A 41TE Or 42LE Transaxle ?

Does it shed any light on anything if an old (from june, 1995) TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) addresses “Transaxle Limp-In Condition - Intermittent Input (Turbine) Speed Sensor Signal” for cars equipped with those transaxles and manufactured between 12/1/94 and 4/30/95 and date code between 2183 and 2295 ? Would all of these with problems have surfaced long before now ?

If the sensor’s speed drops to ZERO rpm and sets any of these codes - 36, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, or 56, the fix was installation of an “improved part” (Speed Sensor).

Could this have survived all that time (it is low miles) ? I suppose this is just a wild shot in the dark and TDCs will have to be pulled. See, I told you you that I’m in way over my head. I just really like TSBs.

CSA

This car has had this problem for a few years just once or twice a month, then stopping for months at a time. I replaced the input speed sensor and the rpm gauge sensor last year. I have had the tcm scanned in the past with no luck. It may be reliably bad enough now for the dealer to reproduce.
For the entire winter it had no issues as my daily car 35 miles RT to work. It has only started this again two weeks ago and only on the trip home. Never on the way to work. That generally means the car trip from work starts out warmer and gets hotter on the trip home than the trip to work.
I kinda like the connector pin idea since it matches a quirky intermittent failure. Any other electrical issues to check before having someone do a very expensive fishing expedition on this problem?