Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Honda CRV automatic transmission problem

My wife has been complaining about a recurring problem with the transmission of her 2000 Honda CRV. The car is an automatic with front wheel drive only. On days when the car sits outside of her office all day at work, she reports that on the drive home when accelerating to highway speed the transmission seems to not shift into high gear/overdrive. This problem occurs most frequently (though not always) on cooler days. When acting up, the engine will rev at about 3300-3500RPM at about 60MPH, instead of the usual 2600 or so RPM. Also, when displaying the problem switching the O/D switch on and off (normally just left on) in the shifter stalk has no effect. After about 8-10 miles at 60MPH and 3300-3500RPM, the transmission will shift up and behave normally for the remainder of the drive.

So far, we've had the transmission flushed/fluid changed. We've also replaced the transmission's "linear solenoid" as well as the A/B shift solenoid switch. None of these have solved the problem. The car has about 105K miles, and has been very well cared for and is in overall excellent condition. But now we've got a problem we can't seem to fix, and I would have a problem even selling the car in good conscience. All I hear is that these cars very rarely have transmission problems. So, this is disappointing to say the least. Anyone have experience with this and/or thoughts on what might be wrong? I'm starting to think either a sensor or PCM problem.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    This is a very long shot because I am not familiar with the Honda transmission set-up. This may give you a point to work from.

I have had the same exact problem with my Jeep. I did a ton of internet research and reading and found that there are a couple causes for this on my car.

1) The neutral safety switch. This is the electronic sensor between the shift lever and the transmission and the contacts may become dirty.
    2) A speed sensor(s) may be malfunctioning.
    3) The Throttle Position Switch (TPS) may be malfunctioning.

Good Luck!
  • edited May 2010
    i have a 99 CRV and have always hated how long the automatic trans stays at a high rpm longer than i would like before downshifting; i attribute this as partly to blame for my less-than-hoped for mileage. tried using regular dexron 3 instead of honda official fluid, didn't seem to make much difference. yours sounds extreme enough to be a definite malfunction rather than just a slow downshift as designed into the tranny. good luck, sorry i don't have any advice other than adding my whine to the forum.
  • edited May 2010
    Did any codes come up when you had the transmission shop scan it??

transman
  • edited December 2010
    The problem may be as simple as your engine thermostat being stuck open. Is your temp gauge staying on cold for a very long time? Your transmission has a sensor which knows the engine's operating temperature and it will not allow the car to shift into overdrive if the engine is not warm enough. This is so the engine will operate at higher rpms and thus warm up quicker. If your wife was driving at higher speeds almost immediately after leaving the office this is perfectly normal. But that being said taking 2-3 miles is normal....8-10 miles is not. Check the thermostat. Hope for your sake that's what it is cuz that's a cheap fix.
  • edited March 2011
    Pull the torque converter out of the transmission housing and allow the fluid to drain. Fill the torque converter with new transmission fluid. Push the torque converter inward while rotating it into the transmission. Measure the distance on each side of the torque converter to the transmission to make sure it is lined up properly. Raise the transmission and align with the engine. Push the transmission into the engine using the guide pins to line up. Install and tighten the torque converter bolts. if you need a detailed explanation ask Honda repair questions in the guide and it will give you how.
This discussion has been closed.