Can't fill gas tank in Subaru Imprezza

Sometimes when I try to fill my car with gas I can’t fill the tank. Usually I can get at least half a gallon in then the pump shuts off, sometimes the gas starts to come back out of the car (bubbles a lot at filler hole and spills to the ground). Other times it fills all the way up no problem. The check engine light used to come on for a few days and then go off for a week or two. Now the light is has been on constantly for over a month.

I’ve had several parts fixed: fuel fill pipe, fuel fill cap, fuel tube evap valve, vent valve, fill tube evap valve,pressure valve, evap canister, evap pressure valve.

There is a stored code in the computer, po453 indicating high pressure in the fuel tank.

The local Subaru dealer says they need to take the tank off and check a pressure sensor on top of the tank. The cost $1500 to $2500 depending on the rust condition and what needs replacing. It’s a 99 Impreza outback sport 2.2 L

Does anyone have any advice?

Tester is the guy who will know about this if anyone does. Wait for him to log on and give the best advice.

Don’t spend the 1500.00 is the first thing I can think of

Thanks for the replies. I hope Tester sees this in the morning.

You’ve stuck with that incompetent dealership through worse and worse performance. It’s time to decide if you want to continue that relationship. That’s up to you.
The problem can’t be knowingly solved by the symptoms alone; that’s already been done by the dealer’s mechanics. No, the problem needs adequate TROUBLESHOOTING {not, more assuming). The problem needs all of the EVAP System troubleshot; THEN, the next step depends on that.

I suggest you find a different mechanic. 

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

My granddaughter’s impreza was hard to fill - 25 minutes to add 8 gallons. I read several posts and then looked at the plumbing behind the right rear wheel. I removed the charcoal cannister so I could see the rest of the bucket of worms. I found where the tank vent hose connected to a fitting screwed to the frame. I pulled the hose off and unbolted the fitting from the frame. Pulling it out, I found some fibrous material in the pipe. Checking further, I found the back half of a small rat or mouse and some nesting materials. I removed all that and reset the check engine light, and now the tank works normally.

My son-in-law commented, “I bet some quality control guy in Japan saw that and thought 'That’ll give some round-eyes some fits!”

I’ve had several parts fixed: fuel fill pipe, fuel fill cap, fuel tube evap valve, vent valve, fill tube evap valve,pressure valve, evap canister, evap pressure valve.

You had them “fixed”? What was wrong with them? Please be specific. I’m especially interested in how you thought the cap played a role, since you need to remove it to fill the tank.

You’re trying to fill the tank too fast. Back off a bit on the trigger thing on the pump nozzle.

Did someone try to siphon your gas? If so they may have left their hose in your tank and that is causing the problem. It may not be to hard to go to the junk yard and get another gas tank. If you do it yourself at a you pull it junkyard then you will know how hard it is.