Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

How is saw dust for traction?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Even with winter tires, or even studs, it is entirely possible that you'll wind up needing kitty litter.
  • edited February 2010
    The difference between the mass of kitty litter and sawdust is negligible compared to the mass of your Expedition.
  • edited February 2010
    Hah. There are lots of places where they use sand or gravel or even silt. It works great. Better than salt in some conditions, and as good as salt in all conditions.

But only someone who's never set foot off of pavement would think that clay would be a good idea.
  • edited February 2010
    "I can slow down from 120 mph and stop safely."

On snow and ice, this is like saying "I can point this revolver with one bullet in it at my head and pull the trigger safely."

Actually, in an Expedition, I think that might be like that even in summer.
  • edited February 2010
    Depends on temperature, and how long it takes you to get unstuck. if your tires don't melt the ice before you get out, it works. Good for Alaska, maybe not for Ohio.
  • edited February 2010
    Dear Mr. Gift:

[sarcasm] Which weighs more, a pound of saw dust, a pound of sand, or a pound of kitty litter? [/sarcasm]

When considering safety factors, cost should be no object. The question you should be asking if you love your family is "Which one works best?" not "Is saw dust good enough?" or "Can I afford NOT to do this?" instead of "How can I sacrifice my family's safety to save some money?"

I think you are being penny wise and pound foolish about winter tires. Yes, the cash outlay would be high, but you can only mount one set of tires at a time, so while you use your winter tires, your summer tires sit in storage without receiving any wear. This means your tire cost should be spread out as a per-mile cost of operating the vehicle. The price of the new rims would be the only cost increase. The tires themselves would not significantly increase your per mile cost to operate your vehicle since both sets of tires would last longer than they would otherwise.
  • edited February 2010
    The sawdust in not a safety issue.
    Just what is light weight but still effective on slippery driveways, parking lots or when stuck in snow.

Rarely do I need snow tires.
    99% of time the M&S work very well.
    But there can be times the emergency vehicle is called to perform medical transport using highways and interstates closed due to snow.
    That is why I'd like to mount snow-tired wheels just for 6 inches or more of snow.
    Then remove them when roads are clear enough.

I never trust any tire enough to drive faster on it unless the pavement is dry.
    My routine speed on an interstate highway is 50 mph - always in the right lane.
  • edited February 2010
    Just what is light weight but still effective on slippery driveways, parking lots or when stuck in snow.
    A pound of sand would work better than a pound of saw dust, as to which one weighs more, I hope you can figure that out.
  • edited February 2010
    If you want to cut costs you could seek out some used Kitty Litter...
  • edited February 2010
    "If you want to cut costs you could seek out some used Kitty Litter..."
    Don'think I haven'thought of that.
    Actually, I have used "cleaned" kitty litter!
This discussion has been closed.