Key won't turn in 2004 Cadillac Deville

I have a 2004 Cadillac Deville that has a intermittent problem with the ignition. The key will not turn and I have tried the “turn the steering wheel trick”. Neither key will work when it does this. I believe it’s part of the antitheft system that is causing the problem. I can open the trunk, lock & unlock,set off the panic alarm,etc with the FOB. I’ve pushed on the brake. Seems like if I fiddle with the steering wheel at times it releases the locking pin. Once it’s free to turn it works fine with both keys. It’s just that I’m afraid that I will get stranded at 30 below in the midwest. It’s only done it twice, but both times in the last few months. I’ve talked to dealers and one said bring it in, other thought it was a fluke. I’m unemployed and don’t want to have to waste money unless it is absolutly neccessary. Seems like a safety issue to me. It’s out of warranty of course. 80,000 mile. Thanks in advance.

Russ

how many keys do you have on the ring? Sounds like the switch itself has failed, you need a new one

Yea, too many keys and things on a key ring can damage the switch and they can do exactly what you are experiencing. It can happen without that weight, but it is more common with the extra weight.