Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

20-20w Motor Oil

I found a case (24) of old Mobil 20-20w motor oil. They are in perfect condition. Is the oil good? Can I use it? What kind of engine uses this oil? Would an old car guy want this oil?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I Can't Imagine You'd Have Any Use For It. It Was Used When And Where Engine Manufacturers Specified 20-20w. Car Enthusiasts Someplace May Be Interested.

CSA
  • edited November 2009
    I would for the following and you could too. Unused, you could mix it with a little gasoline, pour into a garden sprayer and give a rust treatment to the rocker panels, rear quarters, door drains, inner outer-fender welds and anywhere else you see access to potential rust areas. Catch drippings on old rags/paper and wash in a week. Otherwise, I'd donate to a waste oil burner for heat if one was in the area.
    Also use to coat machine parts left out side that are perpetually exposed by "painting" on with a foam brush. Great rust preventative, but be careful of ground water exposure.
  • edited November 2009
    What is the API rating of this oil? SC, SD something like that? It's suitable for '50's and '60's cars used in moderate climates...If its in the old tin cans, "collectors" will buy anything..
  • edited November 2009
    I think that the owner's manual on my 1954 Buick called for 20W-20 oil in moderate climates. I know I used this oil in the spring and in the fall. In the summer I used straight 30 weight,and in the winter I used 10W-30. I haven't owned the 1954 Buick since 1965. My brother does own a 1954 Buick that he restored, but uses modern 10W-30 in the car.
  • edited November 2009
    Don't use gas as a mix. Use diesel. Better for the environment. Then spray the rusty bits on the car. The degradation factor of the oil is the issue. Newer oils at any grade last longer due to new mixes. If you have a oil burner you can mix in a pint or so per gallon. I just take my oil to a guy who has a junk yard with a multi fuel burner and he filters and mixes the used oil for his shop.
  • edited November 2009
    Will diesel work as well to thin the oil for spraying for rust treatent ? Otherwise, will try it.
    Thanks.
  • edited November 2009
    Farmers have been known to spray drain-oil on the equipment that was left outside..But spraying oil on your car in your driveway?? You have got to be kidding...

List the oil on E-bay and it will sell like hot-cakes..Does it have the old Socony Vacuum trademark, the Flying Red Horse?
  • edited November 2009
    As long as you don't mind that 'truck stop smell'....
  • edited November 2009
    The post referred to environmentally sound use of unusable oil. I would argue, that if done correctly, it would have a more positive affect on the environment then allowing cars to prematurely age.
  • edited November 2009
    Guess you've never had a need to do it, no smell after a few days if done correctly.
This discussion has been closed.