Steering Wheel Shakes at 60 MPH

The steering Wheel of my Huyndai Elantra shaking when I drive the car on 60 MPH speed. Any advice is very much appreciate it…Thanks

A couple of suggestions.

1. Make sure the lug nuts are tight on the tires. I had a 98 Windstar that started to shimmy on the highway (~65 mph). I pulled over and found the lug nuts loose on a tire I had changed a few weeks previously.

2. Check tire pressure. Are the tires balanced, have they been rotated on a regular basis? It’s possible a weight may have come off a tire.

3. How old are the tires, how many miles? I had an 88 Chevy Beretta with performance tires that had about 10k left on the tread, but it started to shimmy at 40-50 mph. New tires fixed that problem.

Hopefully it’s something simple.

Ed B.

I’ll second the above poster’s advice. Also, maybe check the alignment, different cars are affected slightly differently by alignment issues.

Also, and maybe firstly, check the tire sidewalls carefully, inside and outside, are there any bulges? If so, you probably need at least 2 new tires then (meaning don’t just replace one, either the 2 on the back or front, but i’d never advise only replacing one tire).

This is probably irregular wear, which is caused by misalignment and aggravated by insufficient inflation pressure and insufficient rotation practices.

So rotate your tires and see if the vibration changes. If so, then it’s the tires and it just might be time for new ones.