Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

2001 Ford Escape has blown up 3 egr valves this week...please help my dealer find the problem.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I was told that the fuel pump had the fuel pressure regulator built into it...and that is why he had to replace it. I plan on bringing the car in to have brake work done by my regualr mechanic (noh the dealer) I will have him look it over...
  • edited March 2009
    Well you can at least tell us why you think your brake problem is related to your EGR problem,we have been working with you on this.
  • edited March 2009
    Here is a drawing, from Auto Zone's site, of the Fuel Pressure & Temperature sensor. Ask your mechanic to look at the engine and tell us if he sees this sensor on your engine, or not: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?fromSearchPage=true&pageId=0900c152801e9035&partName=Fuel+Pressure%26Temperature+Sensor&partId=0900c152801e9035
    Also, ask your mechanic if he sees this Fuel Pressure Regulator on your truck: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Fuel+Delivery&fromType=parts&fromString=search&parentId=cat10007&currentPage=1&filterByKeyWord=fuel+pressure+and+temperature+sensor&navValue=14901183&categoryNValue=14999999&fromWhere=&itemId=prod11467&displayName=Fuel+Tank+Pressure+Sensor&searchText=fuel+pressure+and+temperature+sensor
  • edited March 2009
    Sorry, i was thinking i was not supposed to bring this into the mix...but when my egr valve blew and i was driving home, one of the problems with driving that the blown egr valve caused was that the brake pedal would go to the floor before grabbing. I was told this was because the brake pressure was vacuum controlled, and was somehow tied into the vacuum system with the egr valve...so the hole in the egr affected the brake pressure. This does not seem to have been addressed when egr valve was re-replaced this time...even though i told the dealer that the blown egr valve affected my brakes.
  • edited March 2009
    The EGR has its vacuum source and the brake boster has its vacuum source not the same,I can't see where this could go. I don't think the Dealer would deliver you your car with the boster inoperative,how could they test drive it? Certainly if they released your car to you with the boster inop you would have been told,this is dangerous.

You are relating your poor brake system performance to both "air in the lines" and no vacuum to the boster,not making sense.
  • edited March 2009
    Hi all,

Just like RTibbitts07, my EGR valve (in my 2002 Ford Escape) blew and I found this thread on Google. I've noticed poor milage since I bought the truck last year (I've been getting 175 miles on average per 15 gallon tank). While I was driving on the highway yesterday, the car would not go past 40 miles while I was driving up a hill even though I was flooring the gas pedal. After I stopped at a light and started driving again, I noticed the car (automatic) woudn't change into third gear and was at about 5000 rpm. I took my foot off the gas completely and when I stepped back on the gas, the gear changed and I started hearing the "whooshing of air" begin with every acceleration. When I got to my in-laws house, my father-in-law and I opened up the hood and found that the EGR valve had a hole blown right through it just like you guys have. We'll be getting a replacement from Ford tomorrow and installing it. What else do I need to check? Sounds like I need to have the fuel pressure, exhaust, and or catalytic converter checked. Regardless, it's been a really educating experience reading this thread and I look forward to hearing all the results!

Thanks
  • edited March 2009
    Did you also experience loss of braking power or notice any influence on the brake system?
  • edited March 2009
    Not at all...at least not that I noticed.
  • edited March 2009
    Here are the testing instructions for test the Fuel Rail Pressure and Temperature Sensor that the dealer says is not involved in controlling fuel pressure. Ask your mechanic to test this sensor: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?fromSearchPage=true&pageId=0900c152801e8f59&partName=Fuel+Rail+Pressure%26Temperature++FRPT++Sensor&partId=0900c152801e8f59
  • edited March 2009
    TundraSQ
    or
    Maciah
    or
    Anyone,
    The Escape has three (3) possible types of fuel pump systems: fuel-return type; mechanical fuel returnless type; electronic fuel returnless type. It's up to the question poster to look, or have some to look, and determine which type of fuel pump system is on their Escape (or, other Ford). The answers to the questions, about finding the causes of the problem the questioner has, is dependent upon having this information.
This discussion has been closed.