New Car Suggestions

Hi,

I have a 1997 Honda Odessey that is pretty much on it’s last leg. It has about 160,00.00 miles, the air-conditioning doesn’t work properly, it will soon need a new exhaust and more than likely, new brakes. I am guessing it’s time to invest in a new car. However, I am not sure what to look for. I would like to purchase a used car, maybe 2002-2006 or so. I have a 3 year old so of course I need something reliable and safe and also “roomy”. I would like to pay about 11,000-15,000 ( good luck, right??). Just not sure what to look for. Any suggestions would help a great deal. Also, my sister is selling her 2000 Lexus SUV (not sure the model) and has offered to sell it to us for about 11,000. It only has about 70,000 miles (or less), but my husband is concerned about the costs of “keeping it up” and what not. Any information on that would be helpful too. I just need all kinds of help! :slight_smile: Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my pleas!

If the Lexus interests you and your sister has kept it up (just ask her if properly maintained) it may be worth a look.

Otherwise for $12-$15k there are so many three year old choices you really need to be more specific.

Your Odyssey is not on its last leg. AC failing can happen on a 3-5 year car too but not as likely. Muffler and brakes are maintenance items. However if you have tired of it move on.

The reason I say it’s on it’s last leg is because I feel like I will be puttng more into it than it’s worth. My mechanic seems to agree. The ac will cost almost 500.00, breaks 400 and muffler around 400 too.
I also forgot to mention the passenger side windows don’t unroll (electrial issues) and this is also close to 400 to repair. Do you think it’s worth putting all that money into a 10 year old car with 160,000 miles?

I realize there are a lot of options out there. I just don’t know anything about cars or buying one!
I have heard good things about Kia, Honda, Hyandi (sp)… not so good things about Ford, jeep…
Help!

It has about 160,00.00 miles, the air-conditioning doesn’t work properly, it will soon need a new exhaust and more than likely, new brakes. I am guessing it’s time to invest in a new car.

It needs a recharge, a new exhaust, and a brake job. You’re talking about under a thousand bucks here. How is that costing you more money than spending $15k on another car?

The reason I say it’s on it’s last leg is because I feel like I will be puttng more into it than it’s worth.

Well according to the bluebook, even with the mechanical defects it’s worth around $4700 and needs $1700 worth of repairs according to your mechanic.

The ac will cost almost 500.00

Why, what’s wrong with it?

, breaks 400

For what? My guess is he wants to replace more than one caliper (you probably don’t need to).

I also forgot to mention the passenger side windows don’t unroll (electrial issues) and this is also close to 400 to repair.

If he’s given you an estimate then he knows what’s wrong with them. I can’t see them costing $400 unless you have to replace parts like motors, in which case it’s not an electrical issue.

Do you think it’s worth putting all that money into a 10 year old car with 160,000 miles?

I would, but then like I said in my other post you’re talking about spending $1700 vs spending $12,000 to $15,000. The actual economics do not point to you getting a new car, which means you should only get it if you really WANT it and can afford it.

And as far as that Lexus goes, parts will be more expensive than on your current car.

well, I just replaced the exhuast about a year or so ago. As far as saving money by buying a new car… I guess I just forsee more things going wrong. Am I jumping the gun? I am just going off what my auto guys says. He feel with the age of the car and the amount of miles on it, it may be time to purchase a new/used car instead of continuing to put money in the Honda. I have gone to this guy for years and totally trust his opinion.

The body is not in great shape either. Back hatch is rusted shut, lots of rust patches on the body of the car and normal wear and tear, dents and dings. As far as the windows not working, I could be wrong by saying it’s electrical. I meant to say that the windows are electric. He said the breaks will get me through the summer, same as the exhuast issue. I just don’t want to put the moeny into fixing it for the next thing to fall apart. Maybe I’m just trying to convince myself to get a new car!!

All the repairs are trivial, but do add up. Call around for more estimates, maybe you can get a better price.

For the record, are we talking about a mini mini van? Was a Isuzu Oasis the same thing?

It is almost always cheaper to repair than to buy a different car. That is the position most people on the board here come from and they are certainly correct. However, it is your money and your desires. Do what you want to do. If you would rather spend more money, less time in the shop and enjoy your drive a little more, than get a new ride. If you want to save money, repair and live with the not so nice appearance and quirks with your car. Either way, it is your money and your choice. If you want a different car, then get one. Just don’t try to justify the economics with repairs that are needed- it rarely works out.

ref

Somewhat of a dilemma. To add some personal family information, my daughter (3 kids ages 4,2,1) has a mini-van (like your Odyssey) at home. On a recent vacation, she rented an SUV and was very unhappy. Less room inside, harder to get to kids in carseats, burns much more fuel, not to mention the greatly increased roll-over hazard. I’d steer clear of any SUV unless you just absolutely HAVE to have the 4WD capability and can live with the increased gasoline and maintenance costs. I don’t think the Lexus with 70,000 is a bargain for your purposes. How about finding a newer Odyssey if you like the old one?

The maintenance items you speak of are worth doing financially even if that $1500 takes you only 12 months longer.

Remember a $12k-$15k car can have repairs and maintenance too. Maybe not $1500 but a $500 brake job. one year and then the next $500 in new tires beyond regular maintenance.

If you have the cash or love car payments or simply cannot stand to drive your vehicle move on. However the vehicle is only worth xxxx is not really valid here especially when your pointing out maintenance items.

Maintenance items are not a reason to get rid of the van. Rust is. If the rust is so severe that you can’t open the lift gate, find another van or SUV soon. Tell us what you want in a new (to you) vehicle and we’ll help you narrow it down.

You could get a fairly new Ford mini van(Freestar? ford’s website doesn’t list any vans except the E-series) in your price range.

or Chevy/Dodge. Domestic brands tend to take a bigger hit in depreciation over Japanese brands, but are just as good.

Excellent point! No way would I sink any significant money into a rusted out vehicle. Sure as I did, the transmission would go out ;^)

Another question:

I have to choose between a Hyundai Santa Fe AWD GLS 2.2 diesel and a Ford Explorer 4x2, V6, 4.0, both 2007 models.

I don’t know which vehicle is considered best and which one can a resale it faster in a couple of years.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Here is a contrarian opinion: Buy the Lexus. $11,000 is not bad for a used RX and a great deal for the Big Lexus SUV. The RX is a car based SUV, so I think it would drive very similiarly to what you have been driving. My neighbor has 190,000 miles on an RX and has spent less than $2000.00 in maintenance over 10 years. I say go for it.

i’d SECOND this ‘contrarian’ opinion!

no one makes MORE RELIABLE cars than Lexus. the 1998 lexus LS model has proven, on average, to have fewer problems than 2006 mercedes-benz ML500s.

the lexus RX model is not quite so bulletproof, but it still ranks among the most reliable. based on the toyota camry platform, you can expect it to be as reliable, and have many luxury features as well.

neither the hyundai nor ford will come close to toyota/lexus reliability. according to CR’s long-term reliability charts, hyundais get 100 problems per 100 cars by age 5.5 years. fords, at 7 years.

at 10 years, toyota/lexus still get only ~60 problems/100 cars. one has to extrapolate beyond the graph to get to the 100/100 point. which, occurs at ~17 years.