A caller with a jeep asked what to do about a falling headliner. Replace it? Rip it out? Tom and Ray suggested gluing it.
I had a headliner fall out where it met the rear window.
A body shop I called said they don't work on cars unless they've been in an accident. Since the headliner was blocking my view out the back window we agreed I'd probably be in an accident pretty soon anyway so they went ahead and gave me the quote. It was somewhere between $300 and $400.
I gave some thought to ripping it out but it was definitely ugly under the headliner and being an avid do-it-yourselfer I figured I could come up with something more aesthetic. I opted for a $5 can of spray glue. I used a polyurethane adhesive but later found that headliner adhesive is available at fabric stores.
I ran into a few problems.
First there was a bunch of foam dust that would have kept the glue from sticking to anything so I had to vacuum and scrape it out before I tried anything.
Second, gravity was not my friend. The weight of the headliner and glue would separate it from the roof before the glue had time to cure. I ended up having to re-glue it 3 or 4 times and it only fully cured when I made a rig to keep pressure between the headliner and roof. I used a thick block of foam the size of the headliner area I was trying to reattach. The foam formed to the roof shape and kept even pressure on it. I supported the foam with a plank of wood underneath it and some more pieces of wood as struts between the plank and the back seats. I had to leave it there for a month before the glue fully cured. Man, it was ugly. At least I didn't have to deal with any back seat drivers because no one could sit in the back seat.
Last, the glue contracted each time I reapplied it. So after 3 or 4 times the headliner had shrunk and left some exposed roof foam anyway. So much for something more aestheic, but at least my rear view mirror wasn't pointless for anything other than hanging air fresheners.