Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

hydrogen in tires?

I've been hearing a lot about pumping hydrogen into tires. Does anyone out there know much about this and is it a good thing?

• edited September 2008
    Hydrogen or nitrogen? Nitrogen has become popular; Costco provides the service at no cost on all their tires sold.
  • edited September 2008
    Yep, must be nitrogen, hate to think what might happen with hydrogen! BANG! As for nitrogen, if you get it free, not a problem, otherwise not worth spending anything for it.
  • edited September 2008

Unless you are buying Hindenberg brand tires, I doubt that they would be filled with hydrogen. Nitrogen inflation is reputed to have some advantages, but I surely wouldn't pay extra for it.

While Costco provides nitrogen inflation at no extra charge with their tires, someone reported on this forum recently that his mechanic charged him...something on the order of $50. for the unsubstantiated benefit of inflating the tires with nitrogen.

Free? Sure

Extra charge? No thanks
  • edited September 2008
    Really, the only benefit of using Nitrogen instead of plain old air is that Nitrogen atoms are larger than oxygen atoms. Therefore, it takes longer for them to seep out of your tires. The end result is that you have to add air to your tires less often.

If you used Hydrogen, then you would have to check your pressure daily perhaps. Hydrogen atoms are tiny and can seep out rather quickly. Not to mention that it is rather flammable.
  • edited September 2008
    It's a sales gimmick. If it's free, it's harmless, but if they want to charge you pass on getting it. Air is already 77% nitrogen.

The real reason race cars use it is that pure nitrogen, because it contains no oxygen, will not feed a fire should there be one in the pits.
  • edited September 2008

I check air pressure routinely one a month and rarely need to air any air, maybe once every 6 months, and then only a pound or two. How much air can seep out through the tire itself????
  • edited September 2008
    Very little seeps out, Consumer Reports tested it, and it made a very small (1-2 psi) difference over an entire year, so it's much smaller than the seasonal variations from temperature, and meaningless to anyone that's checking tires as often as they should.
  • edited September 2008

There was an article I read recently about this Nitrogen gimmick. A tire company tested 20 different tires over a 1 year period. The tires filled with normal air loss on average 2lbs of pressure per year....While the tires filled with Nitrogen loss 1.2lbs of pressure....So is that .8lbs of tire pressure loss over a 1 year period worth the cost??
  • edited September 2008
    Actually some race cars use it because there is less difference between cold and hot tire pressure.
  • edited September 2008
    Another thing to consider is, how do you get the remaining air out of a tire that's even flat before filling it with nitrogen ? You still won't have a 100% nitrogen filled tire.

Maybe in the future they will try and convince you to add helium.

Nothing but a gimmick.
This discussion has been closed.