Chain or timing belt

i hate timing belts,could you name some small cars that have timing chain.

Some people hate cars with chains. There have been some cars made with problem chains/guides/tensioners.

You can go online to a timing belt manufacturer. Gates (www.gates.com) for one lists timing belts. When they list one for a vehicle, that vehicle, of course, doesn’t have a chain.

They also provide “interference engine” info. Owners of cars with these engines will do a lot of damage to their engine if they put off replacing the belt and it breaks. Non-interference engines ordinarily just quit running or fail to start when the belt breaks (can be dangerous in traffic). Then the owner gets the belt replaced.

2008s with timing chains: Mazda3, Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Ford Fusion, Ford Focus, VW Rabbit, Saturn Astra, Scion xB, Scion TC, Scion xD, Chevy Cobalt, and Chevy Malibu. This is based off what I’ve read in reviews and confirmed through Gates. Additionally, none of these were listed as interference engines.

The Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Elantra, VW Jetta with the 2.0L engine, and Chevy Aveo have timing belts and interference engines, so avoid those if you’re really opposed to timing belts.

I’ve heard Subaru is still using belts, but I couldn’t figure that out for certain. This isn’t a comprehensive list, but hopefully it helps!

Our Nissan Sentra has a timing chain as well. Having said that, I could live with a timing belt and replace it at the RECOMMENDED interval. I reserve my hatred for incompetent and dishonest mechanics.

Thanks for the info on the Sentra, Docnick. I had it in my list originally, but when I did an internet search I kept getting results with people discussing timing belts, so I wasn’t certain and didn’t want to mislead the OP.

Subaru 4-cylinder engines still use timing belts. The 6-cylinder engine has used a timing chain ever since it was introduced in 2000.

The 4 cyl Camry has a chain after 2001 IIRC.