Timing belt on 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe (driven since December 2001) with 56,500 miles. When should the timing belt be changed - at 60,000 miles, or is length of time driven the more important factor?

If a timing belt is glazed, or soft or has deteriorated teeth it needs replacing regardless of time or miles. After 5 years or 70,000 miles it would be wise to replace timing belts regardless of appearence. Myself and many others who replace many timing belts recommend replacig the water pump and all idlers and tensioners with the belt. There is no Cinderalla/midnight moment though.

The maintenance schedule that came with the vehicle will have a recommended replacement interval in miles or months, whichever comes first.

Most Hyundai vehicles seem to come with a 60,000 mile recommended replacement interval, so I’d suggest you replace the belt soon.

Looking at a timing belt tells you NOTHING in most cases. The belt can LOOK perfect but break tomorrow. Time deteriorates the belt, too, which is why there is a replacement interval in months.

I recommend not exceeding either the mileage or the time specified in the maintenance schedule. A broken timing belt will damage the engine and the repair cost will be substantial.

I believe your Hyundai has the 10yr/100K drivetrain warranty, and that Hyundai recommends replacing the belt at 60K miles. If that’s true and the original belt breaks at 59,999 miles, the resulting damaged engine is their problem. If it breaks at 60,001 miles, it’s your problem.

Well, i just did a search at hyundai-forums.com

I was trying to find the thread about a guy with an 02 Sonata which had approx 58K miles & 50 months on it when the timing belt broke & caused major engine damage.

Hyundai dealer said sorry but you did’nt change the belt according to the schedule in your owners manual, therefore-& rightfully so- the repair was NOT covered by the 60K warranty.

I could’nt find that thread?

If you look in your owners manual the change interval is every 60K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.

Whether you have the 2.4 liter or the 2.7 liter engine they are both interference engines. Meaning bad things happen when the belt breaks.

Get the belt changed ASAP.

Do a search on “broken timing belt” at http://www.hyundai-forums.com you should find some interesting threads on this.

Thank you!

Yes, you are about 1 1/2 years past due for the replacement of the timing belt. This would be a good time to do two things:

*Get the timing belt replaced NOW before you wind up with major engine damage
*Familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s Maintenance Schedule that should be sitting in your glove compartment. Many other service procedures besides the timing belt replacment should be done on an elapsed-time basis, and if you schedule maintenance procedures solely by the odometer reading, you are surely shortening the life of the vehicle.

As the vehicle’s owner, you owe it to yourself to be familiar with the maintenance schedule as this is the best way to extend the life of the vehicle. Timely maintenance will cost you less over the long run, as it will help to reduce the incidence of repairs.