Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Rodent Damaging Car's Wiring: How To Prevent This?

How to prevent Rodent Damaging your car's wiring system?:

I have a 2003 Honda Accord which is parked outside in covered parking (condo). Recently my Check Engine Light came on. The engine's wiring was chewed by Rat(s). Cost $800 to fix.

The new wiring is coated with a Rat Poison because this has been a notorious problem with Hondas. I have researched this topic and found lots of information. I have been a bit annoyed with the suggestions mentioned that are NON-SCIENTIFIC and potentially DANGEROUS to you and your car.

The only PROVEN AND TESTED methods for Rodent Control are the following:

1) Limit Food Supply: Remove all food and garbage in and around your car. I live in a condo, there is no food/garbage in my car, the parking area has dumpster which is emptied once a week. I plan to notify my home owner's association of our rodent problem so we may address this problem as a large group.

2) Trap or Kill to Reduce the Population: Poisons are effective but can be a safety concern around pets and children. Another disadvantage is the animal can die inside your car (STINKY). The best traps are the simple Snap Traps. They need to be positioned appropriately: along walls or behind objects. The trigger needs to be in the path the rodents take. Peanut Butter is the most often used bait.

3) Rodent-Proof Structures: Prevent rodents from getting access to your structure. Since my car is essentially outside, this will be impossible. For those that garage their car, if you have small gaps in your structure (as small as 1/2 inch for even large Norway Rats), rodents can get in.

These are my favorite sites for information on how to deal with Rodents. They are based on SCIENCE and have REPEATABLE RESULTS to support their approach:

From University of FL: Go GATORS: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_MG218

From University of CA: http://www...74106.html

Comments

• edited June 2008
    You know Honda is a status car when rats prefer to chew Honda wires over other brands.
  • edited June 2008
    Paint your wiring with Tabasco Sauce and the chipmunks will dine someplace else..
  • edited October 2009
    Rataway fragrance stops odors caused
    by rats, mice, squirrels, etc...

Makes one gallon when mixed
    and protects the surface of areas used for nesting.

Rodents and other animals mark territory (your car, house, etc.) with their scent. Animals are attracted by this scent. Rataway fragrance gets rid of the scent. No lingering scent, no more attraction.

Rataway fragrance protects car engines, wiring, boats, motorhomes, machinery, heavy equipment, etc. when sprayed to protect the surfaces

Rataway fragrance is not a pepper spray.

If you are looking for an effective, natural control for odors, Rataway fragrance is it.

Again... Rataway fragrance can be used around children, pets, and service personnel.

What is Rataway Fragrance?
    Rataway fragrance is a spray that is very offensive to wild animals such as rats, mice, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, dogs, cats, horses, skunks, and monkeys. Rataway fragrance is not offensive to humans.

• Having read the suggestion by your website's resident expert in rodentry and after having tried peppermint oil, dryer sheets, traps, and plugging all access points, I took her advice and installed a strobe light and turned on the radio in my stored travel trailer. Before I purchased the strobe light I tried an old disco ball and loops of "Staying alive" on a tape machine. Only the strobe light works, but it only works with the right station on the radio. The Fox channel seems to attract rodents (Birds of a feather, I suppose). It works extremely well with NPR tuned in 24/7 while the strobe flashes away. I'm not sure what the quality of NPR is that causes rodents to stay away, just please don't change your programming. This method also works under my pickup's hood.
  • You can put some of your urine on your parking spot, most other small mammals will avoid the area. They consider you a predator.
  • That's the story I told the cops, and I'm sticking to it!
  • The only way to stop this is to tap them with snap traps . . . 4 for a dollar for the mice size and 1 for a dollar at any Dollar Store. Period. Put peanut butter on the trigger and come back next day with the plastic bag you got with the traps at the Dollar Store. I live at the edge of the woods and critters are a daily thing. The "inquisitive" ones don't reason, they just destroy stuff . . . sometime expensive stuff. Most critters will move on. I've had bears, squirrels, chipmunks, mice voles, skunks, snakes, deer, rats (in my mulch bin), a fox, coyote . . . and took care of the little stuff myself, called Ranger Rick of the Game Commission for the bigger guys. Rats, mice, chipmunks and squirrels are easy to get rid of . . . you can't reason with them. Don't use poison! Too many pets have died from eating pest poison, my best friends dog died this way last year. Snap trap . . . rat size. Rocketman
  • edited June 2011
    "The only way to stop this is to tap them with snap traps"

I disagree. When I moved into my current home, I discovered a rat/field mouse problem (not sure which). I solved it with rat poison and glue traps. In my last home, I had a shed out back, connected to the house, that had a rodent problem. When I used snap traps and peanut butter, the peanut butter attracted ants, and when I came out to check the traps they would be clean of bait and unsprung.

At work, we've had rats chewing up wiring in our Camry hybrid and one of the police cars that sits parked for days at a time. One women went to use the car the other day and noticed droppings inside the car.

The maintenance guy has us parking the Camry in a new location in his attempt to solve the problem, but I think he is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. What really needs to be done, and what I think is being done, is to get an exterminator to refill the neglected poison stations. I think we should also go to the local animal shelter and adopt a few spayed and neutered cats.
  • Peanut butter mixed with molasses works a lot better than plain peanut butter in those traps.

Cats work somewhat. A lot of cats work better. Rat snakes work the best.

You can buy coyote urine from some garden stores or over the internet. Most small critter will not come anywhere near a place that is sprayed down with this. Human urine works almost as well. For it to work, you would have to urinate into a pump sprayer and spray the whole parking space.

As long as the parking space is well ventilated, the smell should be undetectable to humans. You might not want to try this in an enclosed, attached garage. Gardeners use this to keep small critters out of their garden, though it doesn't seem to work on raccoons when the corn is ripe.
  • Wrapping aluminum foil around the wires is a method I once heard of. The reaction of the foil with saliva creates a mild electrical reaction that might be unpleasant enough to cause the critters to stop. It might be worth a try.
This discussion has been closed.